Tuesday, January 8, 2008

There's a difference

between drawing, design and the take your pants off kind of living you do day to day. Where do we put our clothing? Where do we put the vacuum? How about books? Where should the bar of soap sleep it off? Why does the beautiful rainshower head function more like a misty morning? I find that designing affords freedom...line on paper lacks realism, it's all about composition, the layering of materials, walls meeting at 90 degrees. Now I'm a victim of my decision to 'cut costs' by not allowing for enough storage...not a single closet. I had an idea of where all of these things might live eventually, now I'm facing the reality of what it means to store things in the basement. Out of arms reach is quite inconvenient for things like your vacuum or...the 'diaper champ'. I'm not sure modernism allows room for things like diaper champs anyhow, but you get the idea. That's making it on the top 10 list of misgivings.
In stereo...with time lapse...

Photos of the antechamber / dressing area that transitions between the main living space and our bedroom, the pocket door to the room keeps us from frightening the children. The wardrobe works well and its size forces regular donations to the Salvation Army. These doors would make great room dividers, translucent tempered glass in aluminum frames (by IKEA).

I was checking out hinoki products after spying a stool I loved on VivaTerra and in lieu of spending a small fortune on bath mats, I spent $17 on an 8' piece of clear vertical grain western red cedar, ripped it into bite sized pieces and created a small shower rest for keeping soap, shampoo, etc. Punctuates the need for wood and other warm tones in the bathroom.

Soap tray for our shower...d-line, $197.10.....right.....keep looking

3 comments:

Dylan said...

Great looking shower! I love the cinder block walls; are they standard blocks or specific to wet/dry use? Did you treat them in any way? Thanks!

eric said...

Thank you indeed...cinder block it isn't although I laugh about that in a previous post. It's a Spanish limestone called Bateig Azul, and it really is more stone-like in person. It has a honed finish which works well in the shower for cleaning, I don't know that I'd recommend concrete block, even ground faced block in a shower situation unless you were up for some serious maintenance. We used 4 coats of a penetrating sealer on the stone and expect to continually reapply over time. I used both Stonetech and Aquamix (which is cheaper) and found the results to be similar.

Chris said...

You, like me, seem to have lost quite a bit of blogging energy since the holidays. Tough to keep it up. Your place looks great - hope you are enjoying it.

I am getting quite a bit of traffic from your site lately - I'd say probably 20 hits a day. Any idea why? Strange since neither of us is really doing very much to attract attention...